|CNRS research fellow at Université de la Côte d'Azur
Co-director of the Modeling in Neuroscience and Cognition Institute (NeuroMod)
In charge of Modeling, Simulation & Neurocognition (MS&N) research group at I3S laboratory
and Computabrain project
Teaching and in charge of Mod4NeuCog
Alexandre Muzy is CNRS research fellow at Université Côte d’Azur (I3S computer science laboratory). He is co-director of the NeuroMod institute and in charge of the Modeling, Simulation & Neurocognition (MS&N) research group. He is a specialist of computational modeling and simulation based on system theory, more specifically discrete event systems currently applied to neurocognitive systems, with more than 70 international research publications. He created the computational activity paradigm for structuring models and developed with Bernard P. Zeigler the computational iterative system paradigm. The latter paradigm has been used as a new foundation of the Theory of modeling and simulation – (3d edition). Based on the mapping from in vivo neurocognitive activities to temporal computations, he works on the specification of the computational neurocognitive system (cf. Computabrain project) at learning, modeling and simulation levels.
Current research topics
- Computational modeling and simulation of the neurocognitive system to reproduce its learning dynamics based on the new activity principle (cf. Computabrain project and MS&N research group)
- Abstract modeling, formal analysis and automatic synthesis of general, reactive and discrete-event systems
- In silico versus in vivo experiments of the brain
- Efficient discrete event simulation with neuromorphic applications
- Former applications...
Some recent papers on the computational modeling, simulation and learning of the neurocognitive system
- T.C. Phi, A. Muzy, P. Reynaud-Bouret (2020) "Event-Scheduling Algorithms with Kalikow Decomposition for Simulating Potentially Infinite Neuronal Networks". SN Computer Science, Springer, 2020, 1 (1).
- M.-T. Nguyen, A. Muzy, P. Reynaud-Bouret, B. Cessac (2019) "Information flow in plastic neural network. Dynamical Systems". Msc internship Research report.
- O. Sabri, A. Muzy (2019) "Learning Dynamics of Cognitive Parallel Processing Based on a Collective Evaluation". IEEE Computer Society, 2019, Proceedings of The 18th IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics & Cognitive Computing.
- A. Muzy (2019) "Exploiting activity for the modeling and simulation of dynamics and learning processes in hierarchical (neurocognitive) systems", IEEE Magazine of Computing in Science & Engineering (CISE), vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 84-93.
- O. Guinaudeau , G. Bernot, A. Muzy, D. Gaffé and F. Grammont (2018) "Computer-aided Formal Proofs about Dendritic Integration within a Neuron", In Proceedings of the 11th International Joint Conference on Biomedical Engineering Systems and Technologies - Volume 4: BIOINFORMATICS, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, 49-60.
- A. Muzy, B. P. Zeigler and F. Grammont (2018) "Iterative Specification as a Modeling and Simulation Formalism for I/O General Systems," in IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 2982-2993.
- B.P. Zeigler and A. Muzy (2017) “Temporal Modeling of Neural Net Input/Output Behaviors: The Case of XOR” Systems 5: 7.
- Keynote of SCS/ACM Summer Simulation international conference (SummerSim 2020), 20 july 2020, on How Activity-Based Modeling and Simulation Can Move Artificial Learning Algorithms Closer to Real Neurocognitive Mechanisms, initially in Madrid, Spain, but virtual because of Covid19.
- Educational panel of SCS/ACM Summer Simulation international conference (SummerSim 2020), 21 july 2020, initially in Madrid, Spain, but virtual because of Covid19.
- Invited speaker at Eurosis European Simulation and Modelling Conference (ESM 2020), 21-23 october 2020, on Modeling and Simulation of Behavioral and Neuronal Activities for the Design of New Algorithms capturing the Learning Process Dynamics LAAS, in Toulouse, France.
- Keynote at Journées Francophones de la Modélisation et de la Simulation (JFMS 2020), november 4-6 2020, on Computational modeling: Introduction to the theory and research challenges, in Cargese, France.
- Invited speaker at SOPH.I.A Summit 2018, IA & Fondamentaux, 8 november 2018, in Sophia Antipolis, France.
- Invited to 2017 Bellairs CAMPaM (Computer Automated Multi-Paradigm Modelling) workshop, 17 March - 24 March, in McGill University's Bellairs campus, Barbados.
PC - International Conferences
Conference on Modelling Methods in Computer Systems, Networks and Bioinformatics (ISCIS 2019), October 14-15, 2019, Paris Scientific Centre of the Polish Academy of Sciences, France.
- The 2017 International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS 2017), July 17 – 21, 2017, Genoa, Italy.
- Symposium on Theory of Modeling and Simulation - IEEE/ACMS/SCS: 2016 , ... , 2011
- An organizer of Les journées DEVS francophones : Théorie et Applications (JDF'2016), April 11-15, Cargese, France.
- ACM/IEEE Complex Events and Information Modelling (CEIM): 2014
- ACM/IEEE/SMC Winter Simulation Conference - (WSC) Environmental and Sustainability Applications: 2014
- IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology: 2014, 2013
- ACM SIGSIM Conference on Principles of Advanced Discrete Simulation (PADS): 2013
- Modeling and Simulation on Grid and Cloud Computing (MSGC) - IEEE/ACM: 2012
- European Simulation and Modelling Conference (ESM): 2013, 2012
- International Conference on Simulation and Modeling Methodologies, Technologies and Applications (Simultech) - INSTICC/WFMC/OMG: 2011