- I am a tenured Senior CNRS researcher (Chargé de Recherche - Centre Nationale de Recherche Scientfique),
- Head of the Robot Vision team,
- Based at the I3S laboratory, Sophia Antipolis, France, a joint laboratory between the University of Nice-Sophia Antipolis and the CNRS.
- My Google scholar page can be found here: http://scholar.google.fr/citations?user=8UW2vacAAAAJ
Background and Position
- 2007 - present "Chargé de recherche premiere classe (CR1)" (tenure academic researcher apointment) with the "Centre National de Recherch Scientifique" (CNRS).
- 2015 - 2017 Co-founder and "Chief Scientific Officer" of PIXMAP. Transfer of 10 years of research carried out at the I3S-CNRS/UNS laboratory to create PIXMAP.
- 2011 - 2014 Associate director of the "Signal, Images, Systems" departement of the I3S Laboratory at the University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis.
- 2007 - 2009 Member of the ROSACE team at LASMEA at the University of Blaise Pascal.
- 2005 - 2007 Post-doc position in the AROBAS project at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis. This post-doc project was focused on autonomous visual navigation of a mobile vehicle and is funded by the French national project MOBIVIP.
- 2001 - 2005 PhD on robust real-time 3D tracking of rigid and articulated objects in the Lagadic project at IRISA/INRIA in Rennes.
- 2000 - 2001 Research Assistant for Ray Jarvis in the Intelligent Robotics Research Center(IRRC).
- 1994 - 2000 Bachelor of Engineering (BE) majoring in Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering with Honours from Monash University Australia.
- 1994 - 1997 Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Computer Science also from Monash University, Australia.
I am researching robotic vision systems and more particularly vision based localisation and mapping. Topics of interest include visual learning, spatial AI, generative models, video to depth prediction, neural radiance fields, visual odometry, visual slam, robust statistics, dense visual mapping, real-time direct tracking, 3D localisation, multi-view perception, visual servoing, parallel robots, intelligent vehicules, non-linear estimation and control, real-time robot vision, underwater robotics.
- On unifying key-frame and voxel-based dense visual SLAM at large scales, Maxime Meilland, Andrew I. Comport, International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2013, Tokyo, Japan. 2013, BEST PAPER AWARD
- 3D High Dynamic Range Dense Visual SLAM and Its Application to Real-time Object Re-lighting, Maxime Meilland, Christian Barat, Andrew I. Comport, International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, 2013, Adelaide, Australia. 2013
- Accurate Quadri-focal Tracking for Robust 3D Visual Odometry, Andrew I. Comport, Ezio Malis, Patrick Rives, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Apr 2007, Rome, Italy. 2007
- Real-time markerless tracking for augmented reality: the virtual visual servoing framework, Andrew Comport, Eric Marchand, Muriel Pressigout, François Chaumette, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2006, 12 (4), pp.615-628
- Complex articulated object tracking. Andrew Comport, E. Marchand, François Chaumette, Electronic Letters on Computer Vision and Image Analysis, ELCVIA, 2005, 5 (3), pp.20-30
I teach or have taught the following courses:
- Visual SLAM: (MIR) Marine and Maritime Intelligent Robotics Master, European Erasmus Mundus joint program, 2019-present.
- 3D Machine vision: Masters Lecture, Elec4 SA and EIT-SA, Polytech'Nice in the Electrical Engineering Department, University Cote d’Azur, 2021-present.
- Visual SLAM: Masters of Research in Robotics and Connected Objects at the Univerisity of Toulon, 2019-present.
- Visual SLAM: European Masters in Computer Vision (MCV - Le Creusot, Université de Bourgogne, FRANCE), 2011-2014.
- Visual Servoing: Masters of Engineering Science in Electronic, University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis, 2012-2014
- Augmented Reality and 3D Computer Vision: Parcours Vision, Image et Multimédia (VIM), University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis, 2012-2016
- RGB-D Kinect tracking: IUT, University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis, 2012-2013
- Visual Slam: French Mexican Summer School on robot vision, 2008
- Artificial Intelligence: SUPINFO 2007-2010.
- Computer Vision (invited lecture): LASMEA, 2008